Thursday, November 1, 2012

New for November

What's new for November? Besides NaNo?

I'm keeping you crazy NaNo-ers in mind this fall and starting two new blog series.

The first will kick off your week: Monday Madness. It's not quite as fun as it sounds though (except for me). It's quick grammar, vocab, etc, the simple mistakes I see as an agent (and a concerned English Major who is Facebook friends with non-English Majors).

The second will wrap up your week: Fortune Cookie Friday. This is exactly as fun as it sounds! Words of wisdom brought to you by Confucius, Yoda, and internet Memes! Completely unrelated to writing but we'll make them be relevant to us! (look for the first tomorrow-- words for you, Yoda has)

Wednesday Reads will continue (I know you've missed them) because tons of great books have come out this fall and I'm scrambling to read them all!

And, when the muse descends, I'll grace you all with my own advice and theories of this crazy world we exist in. And I'll answer your questions! If you have anything you want to know about, or ask me in general, please ask in the comments section of this post!

I'll leave you on this first day of NaNo with this:

Be safe this November... don't hurt anyone who interrupts the creative process.
Happy NaNo-ing!

5 comments:

Carrie Butler said...

Sounds great, Vickie! :)

Rena said...

Sounds great. Can I kick off the questions with something you probably hear all the time?

What is the telling difference for YA vs. MG concerning voice?

The reason I ask is because I have a piece that when I say it's YA, everyone says, "Oh no, that's MG," and when I say it's MG, everyone says "Oh no, that's YA." Is there any help for this, or should I just accept that Charybdis is my neighbor?

Marsha Sigman said...

Do you and/or most agents have a 'maybe' file that you sort queries into? For the manuscripts that you don't immediately want to request or reject?

C said...

If we receive a "NO" and make a significant rewrite, is it worthwhile resubmitting?

L.G.Kelso said...

Hi Vickie,
I'm looking forward to all of this!
I do have a question-as an NA writer and one of the girls over at NA Alley, I'm wondering if you've seen any changes in the industry regarding NA? I'm seeing quite a movement with the small publishers, but any news with the larger ones?
And I have one more, if that's ok.... do you think it would be wise for paranormal authors to hold back querying para work for awhile?
Thanks!
LG