Okay, not the basics. The basics are sentence construction. I might be inclined to rant about the misuse of semi-colons every now and then, but otherwise I leave that to your first grade teacher.
We all know how important a query is. Most of us know what it is. Some of us know what it is not.
This month will be broken down into sections. Next week: what it is and what it is not.
Today: the importance
- It gets your foot in the door. Agent reads. Agent likes. Agent requests pages. Another post for another day.
- Demonstrates your knowledge and use of proper sentence and paragraph construction.
- Demonstrates your ability to structure ideas in a concise form.
- Demonstrates your ability to follow direction.
- Shows that the ms has unique characters and complete plot.
- Proves you know how to sum up your book and describe it in the most market-friendly way.
- Unless you're just really naturally good at it, a good query will show the agent that you've spent time and effort on the process. You're someone we want to work with.