Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday Reads: Nightwalker

Soooooo good! Nightwalker is a Dark Adult Urban Fantasy by Jocelynn Drake, first Dark Days novel..

Synopsis:
For centuries Mira has been a nightwalker—an unstoppable enforcer for a mysterious organization that manipulates earth-shaking events from the darkest shadows. But elemental mastery over fire sets her apart from others of her night-prowling breed . . . and may be all that prevents her doom.
The foe she now faces is human: the vampire hunter called Danaus, who has already destroyed so many undead. For Mira, the time has come to hunt . . . or be hunted.

First Line: "His name was Danaus."

For the book, it's a very good set up line, because Danuas is very important (written in first from Mira's POV). I like the paragraph following this line, something very tricky to do well (and it is!) which is a description of his eyes. But even that description tells so much about Mira.

Brownie Points: Mira. Loved her. I imagine that if I were a 500 year old vampire, I'd be a lot like Mira. What I really loved about her was that she acts like she's 500, calm and collected, bored at times, curious about things that are new to her (she's 500, that's hard to do). Which of course, is where Danaus comes in. But if you think they get along right away... haha, think again. They're kinda not friends, but not really enemies, and they constantly talk about killing each other. But... oh I love the characters!

Recommendation: Read it now.

Would I represent it? Give me a novel like this one and I will fall at your feet in gratitude. I guess I'll contend myself for now by reading every book by Drake (love it when an author inspires me to do that). What I especially liked about it were the characters, the darkness of it, and there was absolutely nothing cute about it (not one character was flamboyant or eccentric or the "brother" character). I like a nice solid departure from cozy paranormals.

Happy reading!

5 comments:

Giles Hash said...

I'm glad I bookmarked your blog. It's just a bummer that I don't have the time or money to buy/read ALL of these books. I can get some from the library in an audible format, but even there, I'm running out of room :(.

Oh well. Keep recommending them and I'll try to read as many as I can.

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Sounds interesting--I've been wanting to check out some adult urban fantasies. Thanks!

Martha Ramirez said...

Thanks so much for sharing. Another interesting one!

Stephsco said...

Just picked this up at a Borders closing sale. A lot of these stories sound the same after awhile so I'm always up for an actual recommendation.

Unknown said...

I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his
Obat Kram Otak
Obat Sistem Kekebalan Tubuh
Obat Tradisional Benjolan Di Tangan
Kumpulan Artikel Mengenai Kesehatan Dan Kebugaran